If Your Date Shows Up Wearing A Shirt Covered In One Of These...

If Your Date Shows Up Wearing A Shirt Covered In One Of These...
UNDATABLE!

Monday, September 6, 2010

In Mighty Prayer And Supplication

I opened the door and invited him in. He wanted a tour of my newly purchased home, so I appeased his request by showing him the digs. He was very complimentary about my decorating style and it was apparent he was impressed with what I'd done with the place, which I found thoughtful. As I grabbed my purse and headed for the door I realized he had remained in the living room. I cautiously returned to the scene, only to find him standing right next to the fireplace. I inquired if there was something I had missed, to which he replied, “Well, yeah. We haven’t said the opening prayer yet.” Now, before you start getting all Judge-y McMormon on me, I should tell you that I have a very strong belief in the whole “Power-Of-Prayer” schpill. But in this particular instance it would be a small understatement to pretend that I wasn't incredulously perplexed. I mean, how could I forget that this particular night out was going to be one giant, colossal, near-death experience. Balls flying at our heads. (T.W.S.S.) Germ ridden kids running amuck. The possibility of choking on cotton candy. The chance of catching Zoobie-itis. I guess I'd forgotten how harrowing miniature golf could actually be. Silly me! Still, I humored him by kneeling down while he offered up a prayer that could very well assure him the next spot in the Quorum of the Seventy.



We spent the next few hours putting the course, playing old school video games, and laser tagging it up…all while thankfully remaining “safe, secure and protected.” Whew!

As the evening drew to an end I found myself at the ever dreaded door-step scene. Standing there in the awkwardness of the street lamp shadows I thanked him for an enjoyable evening as he came in for the hug. After the embrace I turned to walk inside when I heard my date begin clearing his throat quite loudly. "AHEM!" For the second time that evening I was forced to ask Brother E.Q.P. if there was something I had missed. "Uh, we haven't closed our date with a prayer yet!" was his exasperated reply. Without giving it a second thought I heard the words..."You know, it's been a pretty long day and I'm exhausted. I think we should just call it a night here"...coming out of my mouth. Much to my chagrin, I realized that he had again decided to take the Boyz II Men song "Down On Bended Knee" quite literally, and was kneeling on my front stoop, all while giving a pretty impressive sermon that went something like this..."That's okay G, the scriptures say that 'Ye must pour out your souls in your closets', which I don't think means literally your closets. I believe it's actually an analogy for anywhere. And anywhere would include your door step." And with that, Prayer Part II began.
 
If your date feels the need to begin and end EVERY date with a prayer...UNDATABLE!
 

2 comments:

  1. That poor man needs to get out of Utah! Then he will really have something to pray about. Loved the “safe, secure and protected.” Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahahaha. i'm dying laughing. this is awesome. i love the blog by the way. my room mates and i can relate to FAR too many of these experiences!!!

    ReplyDelete